Depression

Depression and anxiety

01/19/2010

Question:

I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety a year and a half ago when I started the nursing program, but never had any symptoms before that. I`m wondering if this was caused by the stress of school and will resolve or if it was always there and will have to be on medicine for the rest of my life. Any suggestion or advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Answer:

It's hard to know if stress played a role in the onset of your depression and anxiety. Often it does, but the course of depression and anxiety depends on how you treat it and how you manage stressors that exacerbate it. So study with your doctor or therapist the factors which make your depression and anxiety better and worse. And develop a treatment plan that adopts multiple strategies for managing depression and anxiety, in addition to your medication. Then you can gradually determine whether you can effectively manage your depression with approaches other than medication.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program