Canker

01/19/2010

Question:

I get canker sores on my gums and tongue often. The sores make me feel as if my teeth are going to fall out of my mouth. I went to a dentist when I was relieved of the canker sores, and I was told that my teeth are perfectly healthy. What can I do to speed up the healing process? Also, can canker sores lead to a gum infection? Is it normal to get canker sores every month? What is the best way of dealing with a canker sore/ Thanks

Answer:

Generally, "canker" sores (recurrent aphus ulcers) occur under the tongue and in cheeks below gums. They are not found on top of the tongue or the gums around and close to the teeth.

If you getting "canker sores" every month, try to figure out and eliminate what is triggering them. Possible triggers include:
(1) certain foods (high acid etc.)
(2) Trauma or irritations (tooth brush etc.)
(3) Other causes

Canker sores are not contagious and do not directly cause gum disease.  There are rare forms of canker sores that are larger, leave scars and can effect eyes and/or genital areas.  Salt water rinses five times a day or oral ointment use may help healing.

David Lee Hall, DDS David Lee Hall, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care