Mental Health

What is safe to take during pregnancy?

01/14/2010

Question:

Can you tell me what antidepressants are safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding?

I talked to my OB yesterday and she mentioned that the ONLY antidepressants that she would want me on would be either Zoloft or Prozac.

I have done alot of reasearch online on both medications and have read that Prozac is NOT safe during breastfeeding and Zoloft may not be the best antidepressant to be on during pregnancy either.

Can you share any input?

(I am currently on Abilify and wanting to get off of it before we start trying to concieve in May)

Thank you very much for your time!

Answer:

Obviously antidepressants are looked at as a relative risk. An understanding of severity and certain aspects of depression help in that regard and should be a discussion between yourself and your physician.

In considering both breast feeding and time on medication during the pregnancy, I think that if medication is required, Zoloft tends to be the preferred of the two that you mention. There is no recommended treatment, though.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus