Lung Cancer

Non-Calcified Lung Nodule

03/05/2010

Question:

My 24 year old son has had a 1.4cm x 1.4cm non calcified nodule at the anterolateral RUL diagnosed by CT which was found originally by chest x-ray during work-up for pneumonia. Recomendation is to recheck in 3 mos. I think we need to see a pulmonologist now. Scan also showed borderline prominent rt paratracheal lymph node-10mm. Am I panicking or should we act? Thank you.

Answer:

A non-calcified node/mass in the lung could be from infection specially in 24 year old. However, we always worry about malignancy, especially in smokers and with other risk factors. FDepending on the risk, we may decide to obtain a biopsy immediately or do a bronchoscopy or follow.

We usually recommend a follow up CT before planning an invasive procedure when we think that the likelihood of this being cancer is low. A pulmonologist can go over the history and clinical symptoms and decide whether to plan an immediate biopsy or start antibiotic or continue to observe with follow-up CT scans.

Although, I think that this is most likely not cancer, I recommend to that he see a pulmonologist.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Shaheen  Islam, MD, MPH Shaheen Islam, MD, MPH
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
Hematology