Healthy Weight Center

What Can Reduce the Fat On My Hips?

04/22/2010

Question:

I`m a 20 year old man. I`m 6 ft tall and weigh 100 kgs. I have unusually large hips for man which makes them look like a woman's hips and are a center of fun wherever I go. People make a lot of fun of me because of this. This lowers my self confidence and I feel depressed. Please suggest something to get rid of the fat around my hips. 

Answer:

If we eat more calories than we expend, the excess energy will be stored as fat. The abdomen is the worst place on the body to accumulate fat, as this is associated with increased risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Although most men tend to gain excess fat around the midsection, it is not always the case. Everybody stores fat a little differently.

Based on your reported height and weight, your body mass index (BMI) is 29.9. Since the ideal BMI is between 18 and 25, reducing your fat stores would improve your health. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as spot reduction. But decreasing your total body fat will decrease the fat around your hips. And this, in fact, is the only way to achieve your goal.

So how does one decrease body fat? Well, if you put more calories out than in, the body will tap into its fat stores. The best way is to do this slowly but consistently. Increase your daily physical activity and exercise. Decrease your consumption of unhealthy, caloric foods and snacks. Increase your consumption of fruits and veggies. If you are diligent, this always works!

But remember, you must incorporate at least a little bit of strength training. Otherwise a third of the weight you lose could be muscle! The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends strength training all major muscle groups with 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions twice a week. This will keep you a lean, mean health machine.

You can do it!

You may also find information at the link below helpful.  Be sure to get medical clearance from your doctor before starting ANY new diet or exercise routine.

Weight Loss the Safe and Sensible Way: Changes to Last a Lifetime!

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Rebecca  Nguyen, MS Rebecca Nguyen, MS
Manager of the Faculty and Staff Fitness Program
College of Education and Human Ecology