Urinary Disorders

Unexplained Urinary Leakage

02/08/2010

Question:

I randomly started having urinary leakage when I was 12 years old and have been through about 5 doctors in the past 6 years to find a fix for my problem. I find myself having frequent dribbles of urine throughout the day and very little to no leakage at night. Stress Incontinence has been ruled out through testing and the fact that it does not only occur when I cough or sneeze. Overactive bladder has also been ruled out since I do not get an intense urge before I go to the bathroom. Everything is normal except for the frequent dribbling and the awkward sensation that comes with it. In the past 6 years, I have gone through just about every test there is and have not been an apparent abnormalities. My bladder muscles did not appear to be spasming when I went through my tests. I have previously taken Ditropan and Detrol LA - neither of which solved the problem. I have even had a bulking agent injected which also did not help. I am running out of patience and none of my doctors seem to have any more ideas. What else could it possibly be? I am desperately trying to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance.

Also, Ive been told that when I was younger I tended to `hold it in` alot when I had to go to the bathroom. I dont know if this could have anything to do with the problem, but I thought I would mention it.

Answer:

Constant urinary incontinence from childhood should alert the person for some underlying congenital problem such as ectopic yreter. Also if amount of leakage is not excessive and only happens after urination, it could be as the result of bladder neck hypertrophy and hence requires medication which normaly may increase incontinence yet it works for only this condition. Medication used is Flomax and or other similar drugs.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery