Colorectal Diseases

No one can give me an answer!

03/01/2010

Question:

I have had stomach problems since I was a child. I have always just been told that I had IBS with constipation. However, starting on 12/30/09 I started with severe vomiting (thought it was a bug) that put me in the ER. They treated me got me better and went home. Long story short I had the same symptoms (severe) the entire next day and the day after that I had to be admitted to the hospital. They did nothing but keep me NPO and give me IVF until I started having black BMs. I have a hx of gastric bleeding ulcers. They then did and EGD which showed severe gastritis, duodenitis, esophagitis, and multiple ulcers. The CT scan showed colitis (and I was also having severe LLQ pain the entire time) so the next day they did a colonoscopy. It didn`t show colitis but was "severely swollen." I have followed up with numerous GI doctors because ever since I was discharged I have not been able to stop vomiting. I also have severe LLQ pain so severe it requires narcotics at least 4-5 days/week. No one will give me anything other than I have IBS and I have it so bad I may wind up in the hospital at times to treat it. I don`t feel this is an adequate answer. They are doing an obstructive series with contrast Monday to R/O obstruction, and if it is negative then possibly doing the capsule EGD. If that is also not conclusive I will need a laproscopic exploratory SX. I have been on Tigan and Librax and vomit everyday. I cannot eat, or even drink too much water or it will come up. I am an RN and I am emotionally drained. I cannot work, sleep, eat....its getting to be too much. I was hoping to get your insight on the situation. I am also still religiously taking my Nexium, so the ulcers should be healed by now. Basically, I SHOULD NOT be vomiting like this. Any insight you might have I would appreciate. Thank you for even taking the time to read this. Sincerely, Ashley O`connell

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Sarah Flynn, BBS
Executive Staff Assistant
NetWellness Administration