Menopause

Thickening of uterine wall and non-ovulation

02/04/2010

Question:

I am 44 yrs old and have been experiencing abnormal periods for about 6 years. Approximately every other period will be extremely heavy (for me with clotting and break through bleeding) for about a week. Then I will have a fairly light period. I went to a new GYN (just moved to new area) and he did an internal sonogram with the filling of my uterus with water and then a biopsy of my uterus. The lining of my uterus was thick but no polyps or fibroids noted. The biopsy came back non-cancerous but that I am not ovulating. He wants to put me on progesterone to make me ovulate and to shed the lining. First, can a biopsy tell that I am not ovulating? Also, he stated that my thyroid is running boarder-line low and having me retested in 3 months. Would this affect this as well? I am not very interested in taking progesterone or birth control(tubes are tied). Is it possible that I am just entering menopause?

Answer:

Sounds like he is giving you great care. I would have made the same suggestions.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology