Complementary Medicine

Simple Cysts

02/12/2010

Question:

I am a 32 year old female. I am an American living in India. I have been diagnosed with a simple cyst. The cyst has been growing for over a year now. The doctor here says the only option is surgery as the cyst measures 6cm in diameter.

I feel sad because I really don`t want to have surgery. The doctor says that with a cyst this big, there is a possibility of it twisting and causing an emergency situation.

I am concerned that if the cyst is removed, it will return. I don`t want a hysterectomy because I am so young. I want one more child.

I exercise everyday by walking sometimes for 3 to 4 hours a day. My diet consists of beans, rice and lots of vegetable matter. I don`t eat much rice, we use whole grain flour. My biggest vice is cocoa and powdered milk. I sometimes eat cheese. I don`t drink milk at every meal, just twice a day recently due to suspected pregnancy. The only thing I can think of that is causing this cyst is milk....what can I do to get this cyst to shrink without surgery?

Thank you.

Answer:

It sounds like surgery is indicated.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine