Burned Mouth Will Not Heal

02/12/2010

Question:

I burned the hard top of my mouth on a cookie fresh from the oven over four weeks ago. It has never healed properly is swollen, sore, there is a small hole in the middle of a big hard lump now and I have pain up into my head on that side. Help please

Answer:

Without seeing the area, I can only speculate on what is currently there. Generally speaking, the "big hard lump" is one of two things: healing tissue or bone. If you look at it and you see a red circle around the area and a creamy white material in the center, it most likely is healing properly. The area in the middle is the wet scab and it will fill in. If the center looks white and very smooth, you may have exposed bone in the area.

If it is not improving, give it another week. If it still is not getting better (not necessarily totally healed), then go to your dentist to have them look.

I hope that was one tasty cookie!

Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS Daniel Nathan Reed, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry