Closed Cervix

02/18/2010

Question:

I went to have a biopsy and a hydrosonogram yesterday because of fiboids showing up on my uterus from a prior ultrasound. My doctor described what she saw as my cervix being closed, it looks like a large zit that had puss in it. The procedure was painful to me ( I don`t tolerate pain well at all) She took a biopsy and said she would know the results in 7-10 days. She didn`t seem overly concerned but now I am searching everything I can and will probably drive myself crazy between now and then. She was unable to do the hydrosonogram because of the discharge - I am assuming the cervix was opened with her procedure. I do have a call into her nurse but was hoping for some explanation. Can you help?

Answer:

What you refer to as a hydrosonogram is more commonly called a sonohysterogram or saline infusion sonogram (SIS).  The procedure involves taking pictures of the uterus with a sonogram while fluid is injected through the cervix into the uterine cavity.  The fluid allows the walls of the uterus to be very clearly seen, so that a doctor can determine whether the lining is smooth or distorted.  It can also show whether the distortion is caused by a solid tumor in the wall of the uterus (like a fibroid), or a soft tissue growth coming from the glands that line the uterus (like a polyp or cancer). If such a growth is suspected, a biopsy can determine whether the tissue is benign or malignant.

In order to do this procedure, a cannula (thin tube) has to be put through the cervix to inject the fluid.  In women whose cervix is very tightly closed or who cannot tolerate the discomfort, this kind of exam may not be possible.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology