Please Help!! Sudden Hearing Loss

03/15/2010

Question:

Hey, I`m 17 yrs old and I`ve had hearing loss in my left ear for about 2 years that goes and then comes back but doesn`t come back perfect. My symptoms are weird, when my hearing is low and i shake my head i feel the sensation of water in the ear, like a loud thump. I went to one ENT and he gave me prednisone and it didn`t help. I had an MRI and they ruled out a tumor. The 2nd time around when i went to another ENT he also prescribed Prednisone but i didnt take it and my hearing came back the next day. The Dr. told me i have mixed hearing loss and that he wants me to go to a neurotologist.

I am still waiting for my app. with the Neurotologist. At this moment i am hopefull since when i ask someone who has hearing loss if they feel fluid in their ear they say no. The fluid symptom is what makes me think there is still hope for my hearing in my left ear to be perfect. Does anyone know what the fluid could be?

Answer:

I agree that you should see a neurotologist. You may need a CT scan. This problem may due to superior canal dehiscence, Eustachian tube dysfunction, or early Meniere's disease.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program