Gray Squarish Circle Lined in Light

02/22/2010

Question:

I have vitreous detachment and my floaters with flashes are very mild and not even noticeable except sometimes in a darkened room. I`ve been evaluated by specialists and had photos taken of my eyes 3 weeks ago. Two weeks ago, I noticed a gray, squarish circle (or perhaps a circle with a square-ish shape in my field of vision. I blinked and it "dissolved" from the center, outwards, but NOT like a concentric circle...more like an ever-widening path down the center going toward the edges, until it was gone.

This has happened a couple of other times. There is a also very thin outline of "light" around the perimeter of this thing. When I blink, the area disappears quickly and my vision is fine again. It usually is related to when I wake up in the morning, or when I wake up from a nap.

Is this "normal" or does it merit another visit to my specialist? Thank you!

Answer:

This does not sound normal. Vitreous detachments should get better over time, not worse. See your eye doctor soon. You may have a small hemorrhage or even an early retinal detachment.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry