Dental Hygiene

Cut

03/08/2010

Question:

I felt something between my gums and teeth. At first, I trie to remove whatever was between my teeth with floss, it came out clean. I then tried to use two pieces of floss to get rid of the particles, nothing was retrieved. Annoyed that it came out clean when I still felt something between my gums and teeth, I used my nails. After several tries I finally removed the particle, but unfortunately I cut my gums with my nails. My gums are bleeding profusely. I tried cleansing the area with Listerine. Following that, I put toothpaste on top of the area, then I rinsed it out and applied Kanika to the cut area before I went to bed. The next morning my gums stopped bleeding, but they feel sensitive. What should I do to help with the healing process?

Answer:

Your tissue will heal up quickly on its own. If you are due for a cleaning and check up, I would recommend scheduling that so they can check the area and make sure all of your gum tissue is healthy.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene