Mid Range Glasses

03/17/2010

Question:

I have sight in one eye as a result of a 30 year old injury. Presently I have an implant in my good eye after cataract surgery. This gives me perfect vision from about 4ft and beyond. I also have half frame reading glasses of 2.5 diopter which work great at distances of 10 inches to about 15 inches.

What I`m looking for is a set of half frame glasses for about 2 1/2 feet, the distance to my car`s driver information center. Would a "weaker" (diopter less than 2.5) pair of reading glasses do this?

Answer:

Revised 08/08

Based on the numbers you provided, a weaker pair of reading glasses would allow you to see items at 2.5 feet. A 1.00 diopter pair would probably work well. Given your description, a distance prescription or some bifocals might help with your distance vision, particularly for nighttime driving. You might want to explore that with your eye doctor.   

Mark  Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD Mark Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD