Myasthenia Gravis

Enlarged Thymus/Persistent Thymic Hyperplasia

03/15/2010

Question:

Hello,

In 1995, I had a ccancer scare, and was referred to an oncologist who informed me that my thymus gland was slightly enlarged. Fast forward to 2010, and my doctor has noted on a recent CT report that I have Persistent Thymic Hyperplasia. What does this mean? That my Thymus is still growing?

I can see a raised area on my chest right where my Thymus gland should be and sometimes it causes pressure, but what has me most concerned is that I have hypothyroidism, I`ve been complaining of extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and muscle weakness (just typing this and my left hand is about to out on me).

In the hospital(for breathing issue) the nurses noted that I seem better during then day, and as evening approaches, I start to complain of shortness of breath and fatigue. Even my husband has commented hat my symptoms seem worse in the evening.

I searched on the net for "Enlarged Thymus" and came across articles on Myasthenia Gravis, and many of my symptoms seem to it. Even the throat problems, which I am now seeing a Speech Therapist.

My question to you is, could this persistent thymic hyperplasia be a sign of MG? Also what else could cause my thymus gland to become enlarged, and stay enlarged?

Thank You

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org