Pregnancy After LEEP

03/17/2010

Question:

I had LEEP done in Jan 09. Now we`re ready to try to conceive, however I am extremely worried that I won`t be able to have a normal pregnancy or get pregnant at all because of the LEEP. Is there any information about a relationship between LEEP and infertility problems?

Answer:

Having a LEEP procedure rarely prevents women from getting pregnant later. Your gynecologist can look at your cervix and see if there is any sign that the LEEP procedure has caused cervical stenosis, where the cervical scarring decreases the size of the opening. If you do not get pregnant within 6-12 months, you should undergo a complete fertility evaluation, since a previous LEEP procedure is unlikely to be the problem.

A few women who have had a LEEP procedure will deliver prematurely, so you should let your obstetrician know that you have had such a procedure once you get pregnant.

William W Hurd, MD William W Hurd, MD
Professor of Reproductive Biology