Pain in Base of Tongue and Ear

03/24/2010

Question:

I have had intermittent pain at the base of my tongue, radiating into my ear. It is usually on my left side, but sometimes changes to the right. This often comes with a generally sore, somewhat swollen tongue. As far as I can tell there is no lump or sore in my throat and the pain is sharp, not the same as a sore throat. It is made worse by swallowing or any kind of movement of my tongue. I have found posts by people describing identical symptoms, but so far haven`t found even an inkling of what could cause this kind of pain. Any ideas?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org