Do I Need a Second Opinion?

04/14/2010

Question:

The Dr. says I need laser surgery as a preventive measure,the laser is used to modify the trabeculoplasty. The pressure was 16 (I think) I have no problems except lately I`m having problems with allergies and he gave me pred forte drops. Now I`m reading they may cause a lot of problems. Do I need a second opinion?

Answer:

I never recommend for or against a surgical procedure (and laser surgery is surgery) unless I can examine the patient and review his or her medical history.

However, I can tell you that a pressure of 16 is normal for some patients and too high for others. Since you have already had glaucoma surgery, it sounds like your glaucoma is advanced; so a pressure of 16 for you is probably too high.

Nevertheless, your own eye doctor is in the best position to evaluate your optic nerves and visual fields, and then advise you on the merits of laser surgery or different eye drops or maybe a combination of both treatment options.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry