Prostate Cancer

PSA Levels Rising Post Op

03/31/2010

Question:

My Dad had his prostate removed June 2009. His first PSA test 3 months post op were 0.1 and his second (3 months later) have risen to 0.5. He is waiting for a scan and to see the radiologist but I am worried that this level is too high too soon and could indicate progression of his cancer into the lymph or bone. His consultant didn`t seem too worried and said it could be that a couple of cells were left on the wall of the prostate. At the time when he had a radical prostectomy the surgeon said the cancer was right at the back of the prostate and took 5 hours to remove because of the scar tissue from the biopsies. Could you help put my mind at ease? Is this turning into a more aggressive and much harder cancer to treat?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

PSA After Surgery
Increase in PSA From Last Year

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org