Should I Visit a Dentist or a Medical Doctor?

04/05/2010

Question:

I have been having a sour pickle or roughness feeling to my inner up and bottom lips that comes and goes. I recently have had irritations to those same areas as well as the tip of my tongue. I have had swelling to my lips for the last couple days. The first day swelling was very noticeable but today not as noticeable. I don`t know whether to go to a medical doctor of my dentist. I also have experienced some bleeding in the morning prior to brushing my teeth.

Answer:

What you describe is not diagnostic of any specific condition, but could represent a reaction to certain foods, drinks or oral hygiene products. I recommend you first see your dentist. Between now and that appointment, pay close attention to what you eat and drink and see if anything seems related to the changes of your lips and tongue.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology