Athletic Training

My Knee is Soft.......?

04/14/2010

Question:

About four days ago I was warming up, then some lunges and squats and then went running. Not even half way throught the run my leg kind of dipped...like i was going to fall. For the next couple of days my legs were sore, but now that they`re no longer sore i`ve noticed that i havn`t been bending my left leg when walking. Also when i sit down and put my legs out straight and press right below my left knee cap, its firm like the other one, but when i stand and press directly below my left knee cap its soft and mushy. Should I be concerned or will this correct itself?

Answer:

You may have aggravated your knee, which may have given you some swelling in the region and gave you the soreness for a few days.  We are usually more concerned with pain associated with activity and since that has subsided; you may want to monitor this area as to increased pain or swelling.  If pain returns or if swelling (softness) continues, you may want to follow up with your local sports medicine professional that can evaluate and provide better answers to your questions.
Good luck and thank you for visiting NetWellness!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences