Pharmacy and Medications

Is it Ok to Use My Fiancés Migraine Med.

04/21/2010

Question:

Yes I currently take Maxalt for migraines and propanolol for high blood pressure. My fiance takes epidrin for his migraines. I am out of my maxalt and my question is can I safely use his Epidrin?

Answer:

Even though Epidrin and Maxalt are both used as treatment for migraine headaches, they work differently.  Therefore, you may not get the same results if you use Epidrin. It is not recommended to use another person's medication without consulting your physician first; in addition it is against the federal law.

Co-administering Epidrin and Propranolol may result in an additive effect on blood pressure. Your blood pressure may drop below the desired level and cause lightheadedness and dizziness. So, caution is advised, and monitor for signs of low blood pressure.

Sedation is the main side effect of Epidrin. Be careful driving or operate a machine, because the sedating effect may be very strong or very weak depending on the person.

Please talk to your pharmacist or doctor who knows your medical history.   They can best advise you on the proper treatment for migraine headache in light of your current shortage of Maxalt. 

Submitted by Husam Sweidan, PharmD Candidate
The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Former Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy