Dental and Oral Health Center

Swollen Lip

04/23/2010

Question:

Hello i took my son to the dentist he had fillings they gave him a shot i dont remember what shot but i know its to numb it he was complaining that his teeth was hurting i checked it out it seemed fine hours later he was still complaining i told him dont worry we will go back to the dentist and ask them about it he went to sleep around 7:00pm woke up at 10:00pm he was complaining again thats when i noticed hs bottom lip swollen can you tell me what can i do should i take him back to the dentist and ask them about it or should i take him to his doctor thank you

Answer:

Thanks for the question. If your son is not in any acute distress (breathing problems, hives, etc.) then take him to his dentist ASAP. However, if he is - he needs to go the Emergency Department ASAP. He may have in fact just bit his lip while sleeping, which is not uncommon for children to do.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics