Urinary Disorders

Pain three months after open pyeloplasty

04/28/2010

Question:

Hello. I am a 51 year old female with a long history (years) of re-current UTI`s, small recurrent right renal calculi and chronic right lower quadrant/groin pain. After developing fever, nausea, worsening pain this past December, i was diagnosed through ureteroscopy,with severe right sided UPJ obstruction and mild hydronephrosis. I had an open dismembered pyeloplasty in January, J-stents were used before and after and was removed 4 weeks post-op. I had significant pain (worse with drinking/eating/standing) with the j stent and it was not relieved upon removal. It`s now 3 months post-op and i feel like i am in as much pain on most days as i was the first few days after surgery. I followed up with the urologist and an IVP showed mild UPJ narrowing and dilitation of the renal pelvis. Are these symptoms normal this far out from surgery, or should i be looking for another specialist. I returned to work 2 weeks after the surgery, but have lost weight and am just not bouncing back due to the chronic pain. thank you.

Answer:

It is worth following up with your urologist. It may be worth getting a nuclear scan with Lasix to help confirm that the system is not still obstructed.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology