Gynecology

Strange Peroid

04/28/2010

Question:

My period was to be on the 23. It started on the 23 but not even enough to use a pad. It is lighter in color and I find it dryer then normal. There is alot less blood and more tissue but it is not blood clots. I have never been sexual active so there is not possiblity of std or pregency. Could being perimanopause be cause this with he change in hormone or what could cause it?

Answer:

Many women do not have clock-work-like menstrual periods. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including hyperplasia (where the lining of the uterus gets a little thicker then normal), uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus that can cause irregular bleeding), uterine polyps (also a type of begin tumor-like structure), miscarriages, thyroid problems, excessive weight gain or weight loss, withdrawal of hormonal contraception, and uterine cancer. Additionally, the menstrual cycle can change a bit with increasing age, stress levels, and if you are around other females.

You should talk with you doctor to see what may be causing your irregular bleeding and to develop a better understanding of your particular concerns.

Further information can be found at Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (American Academy of Family Physicians).

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org