Braces

Filing Teeth?

04/29/2010

Question:

My son had braces put on mainly to straighten his lower teeth. Now a year after he had them removed one of his lower tooth has turned some. At his year check us the ortho wants to remove the permanent retainer, clean and polish and file the tooth. Then put the retainer back on. He said that it will slip back in place with him filing the turned tooth. I don`t really think this is the best option. Plus now he has his gum recessing on the next tooth. What do you suggest?

Answer:

I would not be concerned about a small amount of reduction by a minute amount of selective sanding of the incisor. This is often done because some of these teeth are very triangular and thereby contribute to loss of contact. When they are made more rectangular, the less likely shifting will take place. 

Now if there is gingival recession, then you should ask the orthodontist if your son needs a periodontist to keep this problem from getting more severe. 

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry