Seeing Wobbly Lines and Have Retinopathy

05/12/2010

Question:

hi there, i went to see a hospital opthamologist the other day as over the last 6 months my eyes have started seeing things wavy in the middle. After some tests and scans the man told me i had what appear to be black lumps at the back of my eye, but doesnt know what they are. Also, when shown the scan of my eye, the red layered line showed my line straight and then up like a hill and then back down the other side. Is this what is making my vision wrong in the middle. If so, do you have any idea what is causing it as my dr hasnt seen it before and just said to leave it for 6 months and we will keep an open mind. That doesnt help me much. I have background diabetic retinopathy and my dad has Stargardts, neither of which I am told affect me. Please help. I am so worried and as i already wear hearing aids i am frightened my sight will go too. I am 39, female, have had the aids since 16. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question.

Answer:

I obviously cannot diagnose your eye condition without examining you.

However, retinal swelling, also known as edema, usually causes “wavy” vision. Background diabetic retinopathy is a major risk factor for retinal edema, because it causes fluid to collect within the small retinal spaces around tiny blood vessels.

I'd advise you to be examined by a retinal specialist in your area. That doctor will probably recommend an outpatient diagnostic test known as fluorescein angiography to demonstrate either the presence or absence of fluid in the back of your eye. Also, keeping your blood glucose level in the normal range should help keep your eye disease from getting worse. 

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry