Spine and Back Health

Bed Wetting

05/10/2010

Question:

Twice in the past couple of months, I woke up and found I had urinated in my sleep. I`ve had a problem most of my life dreaming I was on the toilet and would start to urinate, but always would wake immediately and catch myself. I had c3-4, c4-5 discectomy 6 weeks ago due to cord compression which was discovered because of recent falling episodes and poor balance. My balance problems have improved a great deal. The first episode occurred prior to surgery and the second after surgery. Is this from the cord compression? I also have stenosis of L3-4 & L4-5. I don`t see my neurosurgeon again for 3 months. Do I just wait and see if it occurs again, if it does should I call him or wait till I see him in 3 months? Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. You should call your surgeon’s office and discuss this with him/her/their nurse as soon as possible. Even if it turns out to be unrelated, or even if it doesn’t happen again, it’s better for them to know about it now. Good luck, and best wishes for a successful recovery.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery