Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Skin Care and Diseases

Acid and Sensitivity



I started using acids like Retin A on my face when I was 20 or 21. Now at 27 my face is super-sensitive. I can`t use any department store moisturizers, human-hair make-up brushes, or make-ups because it will irritate my face, even the products marked hypoallergenic irritate my face. My skin has become too sensitive. What can I do to desensitize my skin?


Irritation is hard to evaluate without an in-office visit. Or sometimes, what seems like irritation is an actual allergic reaction. Therefore I would recommend a visit to the dermatologist for more thorough evaluation of this. A patch test (which sometimes can determine which substances the skin is sensitive to) may or may not be needed depending on the dermatologist's evaluation.

For more information:

Go to the Skin Care and Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University