Menopause

What is Happening to Me?

05/24/2010

Question:

So I am 29 years old and had a partial hysterectomy 4 years ago. I had my hormone levels checked about a year ago due to hot flashes. I was told that I did not need hormone replacement because I was at a "marginal" range...that it was right on the verge, but not needed. In the last year, I have gained 45lbs, horrible hot flashes, night sweats, terrible skin, irregular heart beat, no sex drive, increased constipation, dizziness, thinning hair, increased facial hair... Anyway my fear is that they will tell me that I am still within a "normal" range, but just because it may fall within that range, could it still be low for me? Because it feels like menopause, and I am so miserable.

Answer:

I am not sure what you mean by a "partial hysterectomy." That is not a term we use, although patients often use it, but with different meanings. It would be important for you to return to your physician, who has the note from your surgery, and he/she can best answer your question. Blood work is probably going to be helpful.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology