White Spot on the Corner of the Mouth

05/14/2010

Question:

i really need some treatment for this symptom,on the one corner of my mouth there is a white spot that continuously getting bigger.i suspect because of the expired lipstick i applied that cause this spot.it`s been 4 years now and i already have it check and they just gave a cream CLOCEL CREAM.but unfortunately it did not work.please help me.

Answer:

First off, I am glad you sought medical attention for this. Based upon your description and the initial treatment, you may want to go back and have this lesion re-examined and possibly have it biopsied to rule out more serious pathology.

I can only guess that the "Clocel" ointment /cream is a clotriamzole preparation commonly used to treat fungal infections.

Fungal infections occurring at the "angles" or commisures of the mouth are common, and the lesion is usually referred to as "Angular Chelitis". My concern is that it has been there for over 4 years. The cause of this type of oral fungal presentation can be the result of:

1. Loss of vertical dimension of occlusion, or loss of multiple teeth

2. Immune-compromised situations (diabetes, long term antibiotic usage, systemic disease that impacts immune status, asthma inhalers, steroid usage)

3. Facial habits, like licking you lips all the time, or scratching your face.

Other possibilities that one should consider for "white" lesions is constant irritation that results in callous formation or hyperkeratinization. Interestingly, keratin formation can act as a scaffold for yeast colonization so you could have had a fungal infection and still have a white lesion remaining.

White lesions can be caused by a number of things, especially cigarette smoke.

Because of the possibility that the lesion may be associated with external irritants and that it has been noticeable for 4 years and is enlarging, I would have it evaluated further (biopsy).

I hope this helps.

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine