Always Cold

05/21/2010

Question:

My 4 year old is always cold. She wears a jacket and pants in the summertime, rarely likes to go swimming, and is always one giant goosbump. She is tiny (31lbs and 39 inches) and her doctor`s are not concerned. She eats us out of house and home but has not gained weight in a year. Could the lack of weight gain and always being cold be connected?

Answer:

Were there any low, high or abnormal results in your daughter's newborn screening? Specifically, thyroid levels? Is your daughter's hair, thin and/or brittle? Is her skin course? Possibly asking your health care professional to order thyroid blood tests would put your mind at ease. There could be other metabolic reasons for her lack of weight gain, or she could be in a dormant growth period.

I would recommend you visit MedlinePlus and look over endocrine diseases. The web address is: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/endocrinediseases.html   

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing