Myasthenia Gravis

My 1 Year and 8 Months Son Has MG

05/25/2010

Question:

He is diagnosed with MG, with this disease will he be able to live a normal life? he is taking mestinon 60mg tablet cut into half and half of it will be dissolve in 50ml sterile water. Only 1ml of it will be given 4x a day...I am so worried about him and he cant still walk at his age..

Answer:

Diagnosing MG at a very young age is challenging, so my first recommendation would be to seek confirmation at the best possible center that you can get to.

You really need to see a neuropediatrician who specializes in neuromuscular disorders (and those individuals can be very hard to find). Brenda Wong is such a person who works at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

I believe that the foundation of good care is an accurate diagnosis. In very young patients when the diagnosis of MG is considered, one must always think about congenital myasthenic syndromes. These diseases can share features with MG but have different treatments and prognoses. 

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your son.  

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology