Exercise and Fitness

Losing Stomach Fat

06/09/2010

Question:

I am having trouble losing excess stomach fat. I am not overweight, I am 152 pounds and I am 5 feet 10 inches in height. Recently I checked my body fat and I am only 7 percent yet I still have a layer of fat on my stomach that won`t go away in the form of a pouch on my lower abbs, is there anyway to get rid of this?

Answer:

If an individual is truly 7% body fat, there would be no visible fat on the stomach. Being that lean is a physique that only elite athletes and bodybuilders achieve.

I believe the method of measuring your body composition was inaccurate. Hydrostatic weighing, BOD POD, and DEXA are the best methods to use.

Skinfolds and bioelectrical impedance analysis (the scales or handheld devices you can buy) are neither accurate nor reliable under many circumstances.

That being said, the only way to reduce the fat on your stomach is to lose more fat in general. This is always a combination of improved nutrition and increased exercise. Doing abdominal exercises will increase the strength and musculature of the area but will not get rid of the fat. Then when you lose the fat in this area, the abdominal muscles will be visible.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rebecca  Nguyen, MS Rebecca Nguyen, MS
Manager of the Faculty and Staff Fitness Program
College of Education and Human Ecology