Spine and Back Health

Degenerative Disc and Pregnancy

06/11/2010

Question:

I have Scoliosis with 2 curves one in middle back and on in lower back most of my life. Now that I am 36 and also have degenerative disc disease in l3-l5 and pinched. I have 5 year old and was on bed rest for 8 weeks during that pregnancy (which probably did not help my back). I am debating question of second child. Considering my back what should I expect if I get pregnant in terms of additional damage and pain? Is it advisable to go through another pregnancy?

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. The decision whether to proceed with another pregnancy is a very personal one that you must discuss with your family, your doctor, and your obstetrician. There is no way to objectively predict whether another pregnancy would cause any significant injury to your back or not. A lot of things can happen differently from one pregnancy to another, including how the delivery goes, etc. I cannot guide you on this, but if you wish to get the most information possible you should see a back specialist and discuss the matter with them. Good luck.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery