Braces

Braces Close to My Gums

06/14/2010

Question:

Hi, My bottom braces boarder my gum line, while the tops brackets seem to be centered on my teeth. My gums are constantly swollen, and it’s next to impossible to floss or brush the bottom arch properly. I’ve had my bottom arch on for 6 months and my teeth have hardly moved. The ortho has even resulted in filing between my teeth to “create space”. This is my second time with braces (I’m in my late twenties now). In my previous braces experience filing wasn’t required.

Is there a specific position the brackets are supposed to be placed, or does it vary based on patient’s teeth?

Thank you!

Answer:

It somewhat depends on the height of the teeth and also the amount of vertical overbite. 

It sounds as though you may have a periodontal problem (gums) and this is something I would discuss with the orthodontist. Orthodontists expend great deal of care in placing the brackets at the correct height for each individual. Mention your concerns.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry