Salty Taste in My Gum

07/07/2010

Question:

back tooth was removed. Since then, at various times, I have a salty taste in my gum which is very annoying. My periodontist, who is an oral surgeon, says that my gum area has healed perfectly and cannot give me any reason why I have this taste or who I should see about it. It is frustrating. Where do I do and who do I speak to about this problem

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology