Pharmacy and Medications

Coffee Consumption and Adderall XR

06/15/2010

Question:

About 3 years ago I was prescribed to 20 mg of Adderall xr and I have usually had a cup or 2 of coffee every morning. I just found out that caffeine and Adderall are not good together. Have I hurt my body by drinking coffee for the last 3 years while taking my Adderall?

Answer:

Consuming caffeine while taking prescription amphetamine products (like Adderall XR) can potentially lead to some cardiovascular problems. High doses of caffeine have been associated with irregular heartbeats, higher blood pressure and risk for heart attack. Likewise, amphetamine products and other stimulants may increase the risk for these cardiovascular side effects.

If you have any other risk factors for cardiovascular disease, like high blood pressure, smoking, obesity or diabetes (and even if you do not have any risk factors) you should mention this combination to your prescribing physician. Other effects of combining caffeine and amphetamine products may include insomnia, muscle twitching or tremors.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center