Digestive Disorders

Minimally Complex Cyst Found in my Liver

06/25/2010

Question:

Hello, Recently I had a CT Scan with contrast done that revealed that I had something in my liver that needed investigation which was followed up by an ultrasound a few days later. The results are showing that I have a few cysts in my liver and with one of them being a 1 cm minimally complex cyst.

My doctor stated that with both ultrasound and CT Scan that these cysts are not cancerous and suggested a new ultrasound to be done in 3 months.

I am a little concerned and would like to ask if in this case a biopsy of this cyst would be recommended or if it is indeed fine to wait 3 months for another imaging test.

Thank you very much.

Answer:

It is impossible to specify a 1 cm "complex" cyst. It is simply too small to characterize with any certainty. I totally agree with the plan to re-image you in a few months. I would suggest a CT over an ultrasound.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Steven  M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS Steven M Rudich, MD, PhD, FACS
Formerly
Professor of Surgery, Director of Liver Transplat and Hepatobiliary Surgery