Asthma

Please Help! Asthma?

07/07/2010

Question:

I`m a 22 year old female that`s always been in good health. However, I`ve been sick since October with chest discomfort, coughing, throat clearing, fatigue( I used to sleep for about 20 hours a day), fever`s,some wheezing type sounds, shortness of breathe, rapid pounding heart rate at random times, and laryngitis all of which are still ongoing with the exception of my voice. It has come back but is not the same as before and I`m constantly clearing my throat to talk normally again. I feel like a boy going through puberty with all the voice cracking. I`ve been to several different doctors each one of them putting me on a different antibiotic and on Asthmanex, and Proventil inhalers. None of which seem to help very much. I don`t know what to do anymore. I`m just so exhausted. If anyone has any suggestions or advice please let me know! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Answer:

Recurrent cough, wheezing, chest discomfort and shortness of breath are symptoms that may be suggestive of asthma. However, other conditions such as allergic rhinitis with post-nasal drip, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and recurrent or persistent sinus or pulmonary infections may also cause similar symptoms.

After several rounds of empiric treatment (therapy aimed at the most likely cause), if symptoms still persist, further diagnostic testing to determine the underlying cause is indicated. I would encourage you to establish a good relationship with a physician that you trust to discuss diagnostic testing to get to the bottom of the problem.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jennifer  McCallister, MD Jennifer McCallister, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep