Spine and Back Health

Recent Tingling in Fingers

06/29/2010

Question:

Hi. I`m 42 year old avid runner. Other wise very healthy. No medical problems. Recently having ring finger and middle finger tingling especially after a long run couple with some morning dizziness that goes away as the day goes on. Went to urgent care center had head CT, Ekg, blood work, orthostatic blood pressure all work normal. Could I have a compressed disc in neck or spine? I have minimal neck or back pain but when I move my head in a circle it sounds like gravel is in my upper spine area. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. A pinched nerve in the cervical spine (neck) certainly can cause tingling in the hand, although it normally would not cause any dizziness. I think you need to see someone who can do a good, careful neurologic examination. They may or may not then decide to get x-rays and/or an MRI of your neck, if the examination supports that. Good luck.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery