Bumps on Lingual Frenum

07/12/2010

Question:

Hello,

I just noticed a small group of reddish bumps about halfway between the bottom and midpoint of my lingual frenum. At first it looked like one but upon closer examination it looks to be 2 or 3 small ones very close together. The area doesn`t hurt at all and I can`t really feel them at all unless I use my fingers. Could this be something that is always been there and I am just now noticing it? I am a little concerned because I recently stopped using smokeless tabacco products after about 3 years (I`m 22) and am wondering if it is an effect of that use. I also had a regular dental check-up/cleaning about a week ago, before I noticed these bumps and my dentist did not mention anything looked out of place. Any idea what they could be?

Thanks!

Answer:

They are normal structures for this area of the mouth. They are called the sublingual caruncles. They have most likely been there for a long time but you never noticed them.

As far as the smokeless tobacco, almost all observable changes caused by its use are located in the area between the cheek and gums where it is held. Changes on your lingual frenum are extremely unlikely.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry