Pancreatic Cancer

Question on Insulinoma

07/12/2010

Question:

Hi. I know this is not cancer-related, but of course it is pancreas-related. I have a 20 year history of "reactive" hypoglycemia. It was very manageable, as long as I ate about every three hours. Fast forward to last year. I kept getting more frequent episodes of hypoglycemia, and had to begin eating every 2 waking hours. I bought a glucometer, and was surprised to see that I would drop into the 40s about 2 1/2 hours after meals. An OGTT done two years ago showed normal fasting insulin and glucose: time glucose insulin fast 92 8.8 30min. 140 48 60min. 185 110 2hr. 145 175 3hr. 55 38 I saw an endo, and had a 72-hour fast, and never dropped below 62. I have since read articles of some people with confirmed insulinomas that didn`t drop during the fast, but DID drop post prandially. I was wondering if you could guide me on what my next step might be. By the way, I have lost 20lbs. in the last 5 months by lowering my carb intake, but still eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am still about 20 lbs. overweight now. 20 years ago when this started, I was 125 lbs. Again, I was wondering what might be the next diagnostic step in my uncontrollable hypoglycemia?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. This question would be better answered in the Diabetes topic. Please look in that topic for an answer to your question.

Go to the Pancreatic Cancer health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org