Pulmonary Fibrosis

Question concerning my Brother-in-Law with PF

07/12/2010

Question:

My brother in law has pulmonary fibrosis and he`s on oxygen. When he walks a short distant his oxygen level is gone. Now his legs r swelling up , and when he goes to the bathroom either way pee or bowel movement he has blood in it,Should we be concerned ??? Please get back with me as soon as possible. Thanks,

Answer:

Many patients with pulmonary fibrosis develop low oxygen levels (called hypoxemia) with walking or any exertion.  The fact that his legs are swelling also can be a sign of the heart being stressed by the low oxygen levels and the fibrosis. 

There are also other reasons for swelling in the legs that depend on a person's medical history.  It is not normal for anyone to have blood in their urine or with bowel movements.  This needs to be evaluated and he should contact his physician as soon as possible or go to the nearest emergency department for evaluation.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

Nitin Y Bhatt, MD Nitin Y Bhatt, MD
Clinical Assisstant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep