COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Estimated Life Expectancy

07/13/2010

Question:

I am concerned about someone dear to me. She has chronic COPD and Chronic emphazema. She is getting 5 liters of oxygen now and only has a 1/3 of her breathing capacity. Can you tell me if this is really serious and should I be aware of her losing her life. I know you cannot determine when someone will die, but I am just wondering what I am facing here, and how best I can help her. Thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. Your description meets the definition of chronic respiratory failure. Avoidance of cigarette smoke, activity or pulmonary rehabilitation as tolerated, oxygen use, proper medication usage, and prompt treatment of exacerbations are important factors to help people with chronic respiratory failure. We hope you find this information helpful and best wishes.  

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep