Diabetes

Can Sugar Remove from Body Permanently?

07/29/2010

Question:

I am 28 year old man and I have blood sugar in initial stage. How can I remove diabetes permanently? Because I suffer from sugar 15 days ago?

Answer:

I really need more information from you to better answer your question. There are two types of diabetes mellitus (high blood sugar) - the type in which the pancreas quits making insulin, and the person requires insulin for survival (that is known as type 1 diabetes), and the type in which insulin is made but the body doesn't use it very well (that is known as type 2 diabetes). Type 2 diabetes is more common (about 95% of those with diabetes have this type). Individuals with type 2 diabetes typically (but not always) are overweight, so good exercise, modest weight loss (about 10% of body weight) and watching carbohydrates (starches) in what one eats can often cure one of diabetes, especially at the beginning.

For those with type 1 diabetes, insulin shots are required to live. As of right now there is no practical cure, although there is a lot of work on transplants that someday be useful.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Associate Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program