Gum Diseases

Bleedng From Palette After Gum Graft

07/21/2010

Question:

I had gum grafts done 11 days ago, and they took tissue from the roof of the mouth on both sides. The putty on both sides had fallen off within the next 4-5 days. They repacked it after the left side started really bleeding that morning. The next evening, the right side bled a little and the pressure from holding the gauze against it took the putty off. A periodontist saw it the next day and didn`t feel the putty needed reapplied. Since then, the right palette has bled on two separate occassions - both times, pretty substantially. I`ve used a tea bag with gauze pressed against it to stop it.

I`m continued to eat soft (pureed) foods, and no / minimal chewing. Is there anything else I should be doing.

I was told to resume wearing my nightguard once the putty had fallen off. Some of the nightguard hits the gum, but it isn`t sore or sensitive or directly touching where the donor site was.

Is it normal to still be having this much bleeding and to have it keep re-occurring? (I`m writing this as I`m sitting with the tea bag in my mouth waiting to go back to sleep as I woke up from the blood in my mouth.)

Thank you.

Answer:

I hope that you are feeling better by now. Generally this type of bleeding can be controlled with pressure. If you cannot control it with pressure or if you have swelling in the palate, then you should definitely call your periodontist. Swelling generally means that it is bleeding inside the tissue and it needs to be controlled before it causes possible major complications.

You should be healed by now and you should not have any more discomfort.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology