Urinary Disorders

Who Could Diagnose this Pain?

07/14/2010

Question:

Who would know this? What is happening to cause this “morning pain”? After sleeping 5 hours, to wake up feeling like somebody stabbed me. The pain - like a cramp - is very severe, and often only very shallow breathing is possible. Can’t talk normally, yawn, laugh, or move much. This must have something to do with kidney function. (I had to use completely different muscles to turn over: arms and headboard only, and the hiccoughs will Kill you!)

It is made worse by sleeping on a hard mattress and/or on my back, made less by a soft mattress, sleeping on side, preferably right. Made to go away faster by doubling up on right side, breathing a little deeper each time, until as the pain decreases, I feel the bladder fill, in direct proportion. At that time the pain is gone, and in its place, a need to use the bathroom.

Surgery to correct Rt ureterocele stopped the sensation of the bladder filling. I told Dr. “That that didn’t stop the pain”. He said, “It wasn’t supposed to; there can be no connection” )

This “morning pain” is always equal on both sides, and seemed to wrap around the abdomen from back to front, and the more severe it is, the more of the front was involved.

Answer:

I am uncertain what is causing the pain and symptoms you are experiencing. Follow up films may help to determine if this is related to the kidney or some other cause. I would suggest that you follow up with your urologist, give a detailed history of what is going on, be examined along with having a urine check and then obtain some films as recommended by your doctor.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology