Orange Period Blood

Hello I always have a normal 4 day period since I could remember. Last week I had unprotected sex then 24hrs later used the next choice pill but did not take the 2nd pill 12hrs later as instructed I took it 21hrs later because I forgot. A few days after that had very,very light spotting then 3days after that, yesterday, got my period. But it is bright red almost orange. I have never seen this before and ever since having unprotected sex have had the "nervous butterflies in the stomach" feeling but I`m not nervous, some nausea, but that`s all. So I am not sure what is going on and I hope that you can help me. Thank you.

The emergency contraceptive pills can sometimes disrupt your normal menstrual bleeding. However, it is important to exclude that you could be pregnant. (Emerency contraception prevents pregnancy about 75% of the time.) A pregnancy test can be positive as soon as 10 days after conception, but might not show up until three weeks afterward. You should perform a pregnancy test.

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology